Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hood for M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm Mk I

It seems Olympus originally thought that a lens hood wasn't needed for their micro 4/3 standard zoom lens, the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm. When Olympus introduced the Mk II version of this lens they did provide a lens hood (LH-40) as an (expensive) option, see the image below which I stole from Chris Barker.






As you can see from the image below the front element of this lens is quite exposed to dirt, finger marks and physical damage before getting into the issue of lens flare.





The filter ring for the 14-42 is 40.5mm diameter and I managed to find a few lens hoods with this thread size on that auction site at a reasonable price. The hood I purchased is marked "For LEICA SUMMICRON 40.5mm" and looks pretty good.









The hood provides the physical protection for the front element but causes vignetting at focal lengths less than 18mm so I'll be looking for a different hood or modifying the one I bought.



@14mm



@15mm



@16mm



@18mm - no obvious vignetting




















































No comments: